Welcome to the official website of the Oak Park High School Chess Club!
- 11/14/07: The 5th European Chess design competition has begun. We encourage all European Chess players to submit countries or at least to vote in the competition. Enjoy!
- 09/16/08: Announcement: Chess Club is starting up again! Check out our booth at Club Week, and be sure to sign up! We will be meeting Wednesdays and Fridays in Mr. Winkler's room, starting the week after Club Week. We have two new officers: Stephen Liu (Secretary) and Cole Clark (Tournament Director).
News from 2007-2008:
- 04/14/07: I'm please to announce that European Chess version 1.0 is now available, found at its very own website. This release is the completion of a year and a half of intense balancing and playtesting work: 60+ countries (a good 15+ of which have not been seen before), with emphasis added to balance, and, finally, a clear and well-outlined rules section. As a side note, our second annual European Chess Tournament is starting this week! (Ask John for the details.)
- 11/14/07: The 3rd European Chess design competition. We encourage all European Chess players to submit countries or at least to vote in the competition. Enjoy! In other news, the Siamese chess tournament was scheduled to start today but has been rescheduled due to the design competition. Sorry to any Siamese players.
- 10/14/07: We apologize that our last three meetings were cancelled without warning - Mr. Winkler's wife had a baby. Chess Club should resume this week.
- 09/26/07: Announcement: Chess Club is starting up for 2007! The first meeting looked very promising, with over a dozen new members showing up and playing. Other news: This year John will be keeping track of ratings, which will be posted here, and European Chess has, amazingly enough, been made into an online game here. Kudos to Ed Friedlander, the programmer of European Chess Online.
News from 2006-2007:
- 04/16/07: Announcement: Check out our very own OPHS Chess Club forum! Tournament rules and scores will be posted in the forum by John, and will be updated regularly, but the forum is also a place for general discussion about European Chess, the Oak Park Chess Club, and chess in general! You will have to register to view the forum.
- 04/16/07: New calendar, and a European Chess update. Have fun!
- 04/1/07: Announcement: After Spring Break, we will be hosting a European Chess tournament! Have fun! (John's running the tournament - for more information ask him.)
- 04/1/07: New calendar, and for the first time in over a month, I'm updating the scores. Happy April Fools Day!
- 03/26/07: Announcement: We are pleased to announce the start of Round 2 of the European Chess Design Competition. We look forward to seeing all Chess Club members participate! (And we're even getting some participants from out of town =) )
- 03/18/07: New calendar and a European Chess update (get the Word document), featuring the four winning countries of the first round of the Design Competition (congratulations to John, Ilya, Michael, and myself ^_^). I'm also working on making professional-looking country cards; I think I'll have 'em ready by tomorrow. Still haven't gotten around to updating the rankings (I've fallen a month behind), due to all the Euro Chess work, but I doubt that anyone will complain ;).
- 03/11/07: New calendar and a European Chess update (get the Word document - I haven't updated the HTML one yet), featuring the abolition of checkmates entirely and a new, deadlier Soviet Union. In other news, Round 1 of the European Chess Design Competition has ended in a five-way tie for first place, so a tie-breaker round will be held throughout this week!
- 02/25/07: New calendar, and two new pages added to the website: Documents (be sure to read the new Rules) and the Design Competition (see below announcement).
- 02/25/07: Announcement: We are pleased to announce the start of the European Chess Design Competition. We look forward to seeing all Chess Club members participate! =)
- 02/20/07: New schedule and scores. Also, I'd like to say that we've got some pretty exciting plans for European Chess, can't reveal any details though.
- 02/14/07: New European Chess update. Also, I'd like to clarify that the meeting on the 12th (Monday), although it was unscheduled, will nonetheless be considered official.
- 02/11/07: New schedules, currently working on scores and a European Chess update.
- 02/5/07: Announcement: Good news guys! European Chess, the OPHS Chess Club's variant of choice, now has its very own page in the excellent ChessVariants.org website. Check it out!
- 02/4/07: New schedules, scores (Excel 2007 users are in for a treat =) ), and a European Chess update (get the Word document - I haven't updated the HTML one yet).
- 01/29/07: New schedules, scores are on the way. In other news, the colored chess pieces have arrived! =)
- 01/15/07: New schedules (only one meeting this week, due to finals), and a European Chess update.
- 01/15/07: Announcement: The OPHS Chess Club needs $25 for colored chess pieces (for four-player chess games). All of this week, we are accepting $3 donations for this cause - you can give them, preferably in cash, to any of the officers. For at least the next month, and maybe for the rest of the year, those who did not donate will not be allowed to use the colored pieces. We're sorry, but this is the only way we can get the money...
- 01/15/07: New schedules, new scores, new rating calculator, AND a European Chess update (featuring a completely redesigned France and some other tweaks). Be sure to read the announcement!
- 01/7/07: Schedules posted for this week. Unfortunately, I don't have the new scores yet, but I'm working on it!
- 12/20/06: Updated European Chess with many minor improvements, and the addition of one new team.
- 12/17/06: New scores and schedules.
- 12/10/06: OPHS Chess Club website goes online! =)